Authored by Jodi Dobson
Public utility finances differ from other governmental entities and the financial stability of utilities is key to providing community members with reliable services at a reasonable cost. By watching this short Baker Tilly board governance series podcast, utility board members can learn about using utility financial reporting to track financial stability and understanding the revenue required to operate their utility.
The following topics are covered:
- Utility enterprise funds
- Full accrual financial statements
- Statement of net position
- Statement of revenues, expenses and changes in net position
- Statement of cash flows
- Unrestricted cash reserves
- Debt coverage
- Earnings or return on investment
- Cost recovery
- Utility basis
- Cash basis
For more information on this topic, or to learn how Baker Tilly board governance specialists can help, contact our team.