- The US Department of Labor (DOL) issued a report on its inspection of 2011 employee benefit plan audits, Assessing the Quality of Employee Benefit Plan Audits. The report is quite troubling as the DOL found a deficiency rate that is too high for such an important element of the system to protect participants in employee benefit plans.
- The Society of Actuaries recently released new mortality tables for use by employee benefit plans and plan sponsors when measuring pension obligations. The new tables, RP-2014 (mortality tables) and MP-2014 (longevity improvement scale) will most likely result in higher pension obligations.
- In 2014, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) issued eighteen Accounting Standards Updates (ASUs). There are several major areas expected to be updated in 2015, including leases, disclosure framework, and accounting for financial instruments. To help you review the most recent updates, links are provided to the detailed FASB information for each of the 2014 ASUs.
- The Employee Benefit Plan Audit Quality Center has recently released a Plan Advisory (the Advisory) on the importance of hiring a quality auditor in respect to your employee benefit plan; this advisory covers the financial statement audit's significance to users, and the risk a plan sponsor will face if a quality audit is not performed. The Advisory also provides guidance in evaluating auditor qualifications, and includes a complete overview of the proposal process.
- We welcome the opportunity to provide feedback to the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) in connection with the Enhancing Audit Quality Initiative (EAQI). Baker Tilly Virchow Krause (Baker Tilly) is committed to audit quality and believes the delivery of high quality audits not only serves the public trust but enhances the value that we provide to our clients.
- Previous Next