One of the largest diversified heavy civil contractors and construction materials producers in the United States with over 5,000 full-time and part-time employees.
The business challenge
In the highly competitive construction industry, project team qualifications and capabilities can be a key differentiator. This client had limited organization-wide visibility to the capability gaps that required training and was looking to re-think how they should manage and deploy training and development. Specific areas of concern included:
- Decentralized training repository: Training data was available disparately throughout the organization. A central repository was needed to gain organization-wide visibility of employee’s qualifications and capabilities to use as a differentiator during the bidding process.
- Manual processes: Tracking and deployment of training required significant manual intervention. This created resistance in executing and managing training by individual departments.
- Misaligned training: Limited visibility to employee qualifications and capabilities made it impossible to identify what training was required.
- Aging workforce: With a high percentage of tenured employees, the client identified a challenge in attracting new talent to the organization.
The Baker Tilly solution
Baker Tilly leveraged their talent management expertise and experience to configure Oracle’s Taleo Learn Cloud platform to support the client’s initiative to promote a culture of continuous development. A tailored approach was designed and the following was emphasized during execution:
- Rigorous project management: A project roadmap was built out with a detailed supporting work plan, which helped align the project for success with additional Talent Management initiatives that were on the horizon.
- Process analysis: Conducted a thorough analysis of current-state processes which provided the foundational structure to support the cultural transformation and was used as input to future-state processes and procedures.
- System design and implementation: Guided the client through the design and implementation of Oracle’s Taleo Learn Cloud platform to create system capabilities that enabled the future state processes.
- Change management: Assisted the client to successfully navigate a major transformational initiative, helping drive adoption and reduce the overall time to value through the management of stakeholders, communications, and training.
Baker Tilly worked closely with the client’s Learning and Organizational Development team throughout the transformation to achieve the following:
- Centralized training repository and reduced manual processes: Course content and training data is now stored in one system, greatly reducing the need for manual intervention and enabling the client to report and analyze training across the organization.
- Empowered supervisors: Supervisors have real-time insight into the training and development needs of their direct reports and can assign training and learning assignments to their employees.
- Strategically aligned training: Deploying training in alignment with individual departmental needs has enabled the client to push the right training out to the right people at the right time.
- On-demand training: Employees can take training courses from virtually any location that has a computer and internet access.
- Development culture: The client invested in the training and development of their employees, providing their workforce the ability to advance their career paths through continual development.
For more information on this topic, or to learn how Baker Tilly talent management specialists can help, contact our team.