Michael E. Deeba has over 28 years of experience in accounting, tax, bankruptcy and financial distress-related matters and forensics and fraud investigations. Michael has provided consultation and expert witness services in the areas of business restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency services, fiduciary duties and governance issues, related and third party transactions (including intercompany and fraudulent transfers), fraud investigations, forensic accounting and investigatory services, and commercial damages modeling. Michael has also served in various cases as a consultant and expert witness in bankruptcy, federal and state courts, arbitrations and has served as an arbitrator.
Michael has experience serving as a court-appointed Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy trustee, bankruptcy examiner, receiver, and as an expert witness for various government entities. Michael also has experience with a variety of taxation issues arising from complex business bankruptcy cases, the valuation of various types of companies and businesses for transactional purposes, shareholder disputes, and served as a financial analyst in the United States Trustee Program.
- Served as the Financial Advisor to the Disinterested Directors of the Board of Directors of Seadrill Limited (SDRL) in the Seadrill bankruptcy. Retained to investigate and analyze certain transactions and relationships between SDRL and/or its subsidiaries and certain related persons. Assessed the financial condition of SDRL as a consolidated entity and the exchange of value in certain related party transactions, and analyzed certain other ventures and transactions between SDRL and related parties.
- Provided support for Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation’s independent directors committee to investigate potential estate claims involving various subsidiaries and affiliates following its merger with Forest Oil Corporation and subsequent bankruptcy filing.
- Appointed Chapter 11 Trustee for a real estate holding company with ownership and management of multifamily, office buildings other commercial and residential properties. Duties included overseeing and operating the real estate holdings and management company as the controlling member of various limited liability companies.
- Appointed Receiver to operate eighteen nursing homes including financial investigation into past financial transactions. Duties included financial management, licensing, compliance with federal and state operating laws, cash controls, and locating, negotiating and contracting with various management companies.
- Retained by defense counsel in $60 million FBI/IRS criminal case and seizure of funds in a telecom business case. Duties included advising the attorneys on various tax, financial and tax issues, and leading meetings and conferences with government agents and United States Attorneys on status of assets, loss modeling, tax issues and probation financial disclosure issues. Advisor and coordinator for various tax return amendments and schedules for government agents.
- Retained by United States Attorneys to serve as summary expert witness in tax and bank fraud criminal case. Duties included reviewing tax returns, government documents, defense documents, etc., and provided expert testimony.
- Advised bank counsel on bankruptcy tax issues specific to whether the parent or subsidiary should hold the tax refunds in receivership, along with other related litigation services and standards.
- Retained in various lost profit and damage calculations in various cases including sales agreements, contract disputes, shareholder and partner disputes, lease and business disputes, employment contract disputes, non-compete disputes, trade infringements and wrongful competition disputes, recovery of lost profits including unestablished business and other similar disputes.
- Retained in a construction dispute to study and analyze various accounting matters and AIA construction contract reconciliation for construction of hotel. Duties included analysis and breakdown of schedule of contract amount by description code, various analyses of change orders including backup documents and billings, budget and job cost analysis, analysis and underlying charges for subcontractor and vendor contracts and/or billings, and liquidated damage model.
- Retained in various cases involving IRS jeopardy assessments, loan workouts to address tax issues of debt forgiveness, investment credits, possible forfeiture of losses and other tax issues related to the settlements, provide businesses valuation services for estate tax purposes, regularly retained in a sale of business and employment contracts to assist in minimizing the tax consequences of the transaction.
- Presented as guest lecturer, including at the 2014 FBI CPA conference for Special Agents and forensic accountants.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA)
- Certified in Financial Forensics by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CFF)
- Certified Turnaround Professional (CTP)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- AICPA Forensic and Valuation Services (FVS), member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, member
- Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA), member
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA), member
University of Central Oklahoma
Bachelor of Science (BS), Accounting