John Knepel has been in the accounting industry since 1977. A Partner in the Public Sector State and Local Government Group of Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP, he has extensive experience in providing accounting, financial auditing, and consulting services to public sector entities and private colleges and universities.
- Partner-in-charge of financial audits of counties, cities, villages, towns, public school districts, public colleges/universities, and private colleges/universities.
- Provides strategic planning and implementation services for governmental units, implementing Governmental Accounting Standards Board Statements.
- Develops formal budget procedures, prepares annual budgets, and designs and implements financial systems.
- Provides tax incremental financing (TIF) district financial compliance audits.
- Provides audits of federal and state programs.
- Develops written accounting policies and procedures to improve the operation of the accounting function and strengthen internal controls.
- Reviews and prepares comprehensive annual financial reports which have been awarded a Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting.
- Reviews annual regulatory reports for municipalities and public utilities.
- Reviews and develops accounting systems for governmental units including fund structures and charts of accounts.
- Reviews single audits in accordance with OMB Circular A-133 and State Single Audit Guidelines.
- Assists governmental units in developing formal budget procedures, preparing annual budgets, designing and implementing financial systems.
- Provides special cash audits for municipalities.
- Provides fixed asset and long-term financing assistance for municipalities.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants (WICPA)
- Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Member and Certificate of Achievement Review Committee
- Wisconsin Government Finance Officers Association (WGFOA)
- Speaks on accounting and financial reporting topics at industry conferences.
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting