Ashley, a director in the higher education practice in our Tysons, VA office has been with Baker Tilly since 2005. With more than 13 years’ experience, Ashley assists institutions to achieve strategic and financial success, optimize operational effectiveness and enhance compliance. Ashley drives innovation through strategic and enterprise risk assessments, business process reengineering and compliance reviews and investigations. She has assisted clients in developing and reengineering infrastructures, governance practices, internal controls and business processes to mitigate risk and enhance efficiency, effectiveness and compliance in such areas as budgeting and resource management, financial management and reporting, sponsored research administration, compliance governance, procurement, payroll and international operations.
- Leads enterprise risk assessments, compliance assessments and internal audit and advisory engagements to assist institutional leadership to better understand, prioritize and mitigate key risks
- Performs organizational and operational assessments with the goal of enhancing clarity of responsibility and authority, enabling cost savings through organizational changes including shared services models and aligning resources and operations to strategic and financial goals
- Manages teams performing cost allowability reviews, control assessments and process reviews, including financial, operational and compliance areas at large institutions
- Develops and revises policies and procedures, identifying and implementing appropriate internal controls structures and processes, assessing and revising roles and responsibilities to ensure proper segregation of duties, efficiency of work and streamlined business processes
- Performs targeted benchmarking and provides advice on implementation of best practices across campus operations
- Served in the Interim Controller role at a large public university, overseeing an organizational assessment of the university’s finance and accounting staff, including the development of customer service objectives and metrics, a redesign of organizational structure and reporting lines, and development of the university’s first standalone financial statements, while managing a staff of more than thirty individuals responsible for accounts payable, travel and expense reporting, vendor management and cash management
- Has provided support to over a dozen universities to implement the Office of Management and Budget Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance)
- Her federal grants and contracts experience includes assessing client compliance with the Office of Management and Budget Circulars, Federal Acquisition Regulation, Cost Accounting Standards and other government regulations, including benchmarking and providing advice on implementation of best practices
- Her international experience includes assisting clients with assessing financial and regulatory compliance at international site locations and developing robust written policies and processes
- Clients include University of Pennsylvania, Stanford University, Harvard University, University of California System, University of California- San Francisco, University of California- Irvine, University of Kansas, Oregon State University, Portland State University, the George Washington University, Georgetown University and Tulane University
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Association of College and University Auditors
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- National Association of College and University Business Officers
- National Council of University Research Administrators
- Co-presented ACUA seminar “How Internal Audit Can Help Support Sponsored Programs Compliance”
- Co-presented seminar "Auditing for Compliance – Tips and Techniques for University Auditors"
- Co-presented ACUA webinar "Transforming Internal Audit"
- Co-hosted IIA seminar "Responding Rapidly to Hotline Calls"
- Co-presented InsideNGO seminar, “Audits and the Uniform Guidance: Updates and Applications”
- Co-presented InsideNGO seminar, “Internal Controls and the Uniform Guidance: How to be Compliant”
- Co-authored New Perspectives & Digital Insights Article "Effort Reporting in the Uniform Guidance Era"
- Co-authored NCURA Magazine article "Aligning Research Operations to Maximize Research Strategy”
- Co-authored NCURA Magazine article " How to Work with Internal Audit: Leveraging Internal Audit for Success"
- Co-authored NCURA Magazine article "Taking back the Reins – Tips for Owning your next A-133 Audit"
- Co-presented NCURA seminar “Best Practices for Working with High Risk Subrecipients”
- Co-presented NCURA webinar “Internal Controls for Research Administrators”
University of Virginia (Charlottesville, Virginia)
Master of Science in Finance and Accounting
Bachelor of Science in Finance and Accounting