Amar Kothapalli brings twelve years of public accounting experience to the firm, previously working with an internationally recognized firm in their financial services practice in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Amar specializes in working with various financial institutions including those in the insurance and asset management industries. He has served clients including life, property and casualty, and health insurance companies; large multi-fund registered fund families; non-registered partnerships; hedge and venture capital funds; investment advisors (private and public); broker-dealers and banking institutions. In addition to core audit work he has experience in other attestation engagements including internal audit assistance, agreed-upon procedures and examination engagements. Amar resides in our Milwaukee office and attended Marquette University where he received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting.
- Coordinated the audits of large, complex mutual insurance companies including healthcare, life insurance and property and casualty companies.
- Led a cross line of service team implementing Sarbanes-Oxley and Model Audit Rule internal controls projects.
- Experience with healthcare insurers and related CMS contract implementation and control considerations.
- Led multiple engagements serving registered mutual fund complexes in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin market including series funds supporting variable annuity and variable life products.
- Coordinated advisory projects in the areas of investment impairment analysis (accounting guidance and development of an internal impairment policy), finance effectiveness, treasury and investment operations benchmarking, and International Financial Reporting Standards convergence projects.
- Assisted with client improvement projects and controls assessment in the areas of derivatives recognition and accounting, including swap contracts and credit default swaps.
- Led a cross-line service team to support initial public offerings (audit, advisory, information systems etc.).
- Worked directly with chief compliance officers to establish best practices in the areas of SEC Rule 38a compliance, trade best execution, and other projects.
- Assisted with fair value standards implementation projects for mutual fund clients, including non-registered and venture capital fund implementation projects.
- Coordinated semi-annual reviews for mutual fund filings.
- Worked on derivative analysis projects to assist clients in evaluating authoritative guidance, as well as hedge documentation and effectiveness requirements.
- Previously involved in Sarbanes Oxley 404 implementation projects and re-scoping projects under Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Auditing Standard No. 5.
- Clients have included: United Health Care, PIMCO Funds, Northwestern Mutual Series Funds, Mason Street Funds, Strong Funds, Cuna Mutual Members Mutual Funds, American Century Funds, Potomac Funds, National Investment Services, Inc., Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, Inc., Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company, American Family Insurance Group, Zurich Insurance Group, Assurant Health and Artisan Partners Limited Partnership.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Insurance Accounting & Systems Association
- Investment Company Institute
- Wisconsin Insurance Accountants Conference
- Wisconsin Mutual Fund Group
- CFA Institute
Bachelor of Science in Accounting