One of the world’s largest global construction and development companies serving clients in transportation, power, industrial, water/wastewater, healthcare, education sports, data centers, government, aviation and commercial.
The business challenge
The client was forced to initially implement Oracle HCM Cloud functionality in a rapid fashion. Time constraints did not allow for a comprehensive assessment of new functionality offered by cloud technologies and only afforded a ‘lift and shift’ of their legacy on-premise requirements into the new platform. This original implementation model presented the following challenges:
- HR Inefficiencies: Because their new HCM Cloud design wasn’t taking into account leading practices or new functionality afforded by the tool, inefficiencies and pains of yesterday remained.
- Limited Usage: Adoption of HCM Cloud was suffering because limitations of the new tool caused continued reliance on their legacy system. The old tool was often thought of as the true source of record for employee data. The two systems coexisted which led many to fall back into using the legacy tool.
- Inability to Advance: During the initial implementation, there was little focus on knowledge transfer to the team. A large system knowledge gap existed and there was limited internal ability to resolve issues or advance the system.
The Baker Tilly approach
Baker Tilly is employing its proven methodology to work through roadmap considerations for the assessment and begin executing on recommendations. The key activities and milestones to optimize the client’s Oracle HCM Cloud platform include:
- Conducting initial optimization phase to address critical pain points and capture low hanging fruit.
- Expanding the platform and user base to include additional employee populations to meet time sensitive business objectives.
- Executing the remainder of the optimization roadmap through targeted design and build sessions to develop optimizations in alignment with the client’s business needs.
- Leading multiple rounds of testing to ensure the optimizations fit the business needs prior to deployment, which has improved stakeholder buy-in.
- Coordinating necessary communication and training to improve end user adoption and minimize interruptions to regular business activity.
The business impact
By optimizing processes, expanding usage and delivering a modernized and efficient HCM platform, the client is transforming their HR function and positioning internal resources to support key strategic objectives and continued growth.
- Improved HR Efficiency: Taking advantage of the modern cloud capabilities not considered during the initial implementation will improve efficiency and effectiveness of HR processes. HR team members can focus on more strategic HR objectives.
- Increased End User Adoption: Through data clean up, implementing additional automated interfaces and establishing a structure for ongoing data quality, reliance on legacy system data will decline and increase end user adoption.
- Increased Self-Sufficiency: By working with the client to ‘close the gap’ in knowledge transfer and through development of an ongoing governance and sustainability model, the client will build capabilities for self-sustainment and reduce dependency on external consulting parties.
For more information on this topic, or to learn how Baker Tilly specialists can help, contact our team.