Michael Ross, president of Baker Tilly Capital, LLC, the wholly-owned private investment banking subsidiary of Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP, and partner with Baker Tilly, has been with the firm since 1987. He specializes in real estate and comprehensive project finance for development projects. Additionally, Mike is a licensed investment banker and CPA.
- Team leader for Baker Tilly’s transactions team
- New Markets Tax Credit financial benefits consultant; application and product review, tax benefit analysis, and support.
- Develops new services for the firm’s clients, researching new incentives and taxes that impact clients.
- Responsible for strategic planning related to real estate services offered by Baker Tilly.
- Has managed client relationships in all sectors of the real estate market including market-rate housing, senior and assisted living housing, affordable housing, hospitality buildings and businesses, office buildings, industrial buildings, and land development.
- Has managed more than 125 audit clients of affordable housing projects including Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) projects, HUD projects, bond projects, HOME, and other federal and state subsidy source projects.
- Provides strategic planning services to both for profit and not-for-profit clients serving multifamily, single family, and commercial sectors of the real estate market.
- Provides litigation support services to communities, developers, and investors as needed based on experience in the affordable housing industry.
- Experience in structuring, modeling, and analyzing transactions, acquisitions, dispositions, and reorganization of real estate and related businesses within the Construction and Real Estate Group primarily representing developers of real estate.
- Specializes in tax regulations that impact real estate clients including tax-deferred exchanges, passive activity regulations, real estate professional regulations, Historic Tax Credit, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, New Markets Tax Credit, and cost capitalization.
- Established a new cost segregation practice using an engineered approach to Baker Tilly clients and new clients.
- Served a critical role in setting up Baker Tilly Capital, LLC, and The Valued Advisor Fund, LLC. These entities were set up to assist accredited and institutional investors place equity with real estate developments and businesses seeking capital and to help clients secure financing. Assisted in developing financial models used by this group to determine the proper structure of their deal.
- Consults on tax credit compliance including 100% first year reviews, acquisition reviews, cost certifications, compliance audits, and quality control assessments.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants (WICPA)
- Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition
- Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Association Tax Credit Committee Advisory
- New Markets Tax Credit Coalition
- Featured speaker for Wisconsin statewide New Markets Tax Credit educational series sponsored by the Department of Commerce and the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Association.
- National, state, and local speaker on subjects related to affordable housing and community development.
University of Wisconsin – Whitewater
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting