Kevin McColgan has more than twenty-five years of experience providing a broad range of financial advisory services, including litigation consulting, bankruptcy, fraud, and forensic accounting investigations. He has prepared financial experts for testimony, prepared expert reports, and provided testimony in bankruptcy matters.
Kevin has provided crisis management, strategic planning, financial turnaround, and bankruptcy consulting services to corporations in financial distress. He has served as financial advisor to numerous unsecured creditors’ committees, including Jackson Hewitt Tax Services, Lenox and Parmalat USA. Kevin has advised secured lenders in out-of-court debt restructurings, and has also provided bankruptcy consulting, crisis management and financial advisory services to debtors such as Bozel SA, Tarragon Corporation and the Buffalo Sabres.
He has advised buyers and sellers in M&A transactions, including 363 sales in bankruptcy cases, and has advised companies and their auditors on fresh start accounting matters. Kevin has been a guest lecturer at New York Law School on this topic. He also has extensive experience in auditing and accounting consultation for public and privately-held companies, including public offerings of stock and debt.
- Developed strategy for avoidance litigation by a large multinational power company; supported the expert witness by coordinating document review and analysis, forensic tracing of cash, report drafting, and preparing the expert for testimony
- Assisted in tax and accounting related investigation of a large multinational by a government agency; helped frame the complex international tax and accounting issues at hand and developing strategies for witness depositions
- Provided financial advisory, forensic analysis, witness interviews, and assisted in the preparation of the report of former Chief US Bankruptcy Judge Arthur J. Gonzalez in his capacity as the court-appointed examiner in the Residential Capital, LLC Chapter 11 case
- Strategized on a post-acquisition dispute for a large residential mortgage originator; developed plan and provided accounting guidance and forensic investigation of loan loss reserves to support the expert’s testimony utilized to favorably settle claims against the seller
- Coordinated team efforts for solvency litigation in Chancery Court for large multi-national green energy developer; developed strategy and support for the expert witness, performed a forensic reconstruction of funds flow among entities, drafted the expert report as well as rebuttals, and prepared the expert for testimony
- Provided forensic investigation of auditor workpapers and assisted counsel in witness interviews, strategy and the preparation of the independent examiner’s report regarding the collapse of New Century Mortgage
- Provided forensic investigation services in connection with a larger retailers’ defense of a stock options back-dating lawsuit
- Prepared an expert report on solvency for use by the estate of a bankrupt retail company pursuing certain avoidance actions
- American Bankruptcy Institute, member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, member
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors, member
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, member
- Turnaround Management Association, member
Seton Hall University
Bachelor of Science